Calling young poets to join the Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering by writing and submitting an original poem.
- Level 1: Grades K-2
- Level 2: Grades 3-4
- Level 3: Grades 5-6
- Level 4: Grades 7-8
- Level 5: Grades 9-12
Each poet will receive a certificate of participation. The top three places in each division will receive a special plaque award and the option to share their poem as part of Carrying on the Tradition, a virtual event to be announced for February 2021.
- Topics must be related to ranch life (cowboys, cowgirls, livestock, rodeo, ranch pets, environment, etc.).
- Poems must be a minimum of eight lines (four at Level 1) and a maximum of two pages.
- Poems may be handwritten or typed (double-spaced if typed) and must be the original work of the student.
- Only one entry is allowed from each student for placement in the contest.
- Poems written in a language other than English must have a translation attached.
- No illustrations or decorations should adorn the paper.
- Poems are judged on creativity, originality, figurative language, appropriateness of content, and structure (traditional form-that is: rhyme, rhythm, voice, stanza pattern, and other elements which comprise poetry).
- The poem must be postmarked or e-mailed by January 23, 2021.
Each poem must have the following information printed legibly on the BACK of each page:
- Student's Name, Contact Phone Number, & E-mail Address
- School or Homeschool
- School Grade Level & Contest Level
- City, State/Province, Country
Please mail submissions to:
Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering
P. O. Box 1076
Alpine, TX 79831
Or email to submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Please contact Elizabeth Baize at the email address above.