Calling young poets to join the Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering by writing and submitting an original poem.
- Level 1: Grades K-2
- Level 2: Grades 3-4
- Level 3: Grades 5-6
- Level 4: Grades 7-8
- Level 5: Grades 9-12
Each poet will receive a personalized certificate of participation via e-mail. The top three places in each division will receive a special plaque award and the opportunity to share their poem during the session "Carrying on the Tradition" held on the campus of Sul Ross State University on February 18, 2023 at 11 AM.
- Topics must be related to ranch life (cowboys, cowgirls, livestock, rodeo, ranch pets, environment, etc.).
- Poems must be a minimum of eight lines (four at Level 1) and a maximum of two pages.
- Poems may be handwritten or typed (double-spaced if typed) and must be the original work of the student.
- Only one entry is allowed from each student for placement in the contest.
- Poems written in a language other than English must have a translation attached.
- No illustrations or decorations should adorn the paper.
- Poems may be written in a traditional format (incorporating a rhyme scheme and stanzas), free verse, or blank verse and will be judged on style, creativity, originality, figurative language, and appropriateness of content.
- The poem must be postmarked or e-mailed by January 21, 2023.
Each poem must have the following information printed legibly on the BACK of each page:
- Student's Name, Contact Phone Number, & E-mail Address
- School or Homeschool
- School Grade Level & Contest Level
- City, State/Province, Country
Please mail submissions to:
Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering
P. O. Box 1076
Alpine, TX 79831
Or email to submissions to:
youthcontest @ lonestarcowboypoetry.com
(no spaces in address)
Questions? Please contact Elizabeth Baize at the email address above.