Calling young poets to join the Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering by writing and submitting an original poem.
- Level 1: Grades K-2
- Level 2: Grades 3-4
- Level 3: Grades 5-6
- Level 4: Grades 7-8
- Level 5: Grades 9-12
Each poet will receive a certificate of participation. The top three places in each division will receive a special plaque award and the opportunity to share their poem during the session "Carrying on the Tradition" at the Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering held at Sul Ross State University in Alpine, TX at 11 AM on February 22, 2020.
- Topics must be related to ranch life (cowboys, cowgirls, livestock, rodeo, ranch pets, environment, etc.).
- Poems must be a minimum of eight lines (four at Level 1) and a maximum of two pages.
- Poems may be handwritten or typed (double-spaced if typed) and must be the original work of the student.
- Only one entry is allowed from each student for placement in the contest.
- Poems written in a language other than English must have a translation attached.
- No illustrations or decorations should adorn the paper.
- Poems are judged on creativity, originality, figurative language, appropriateness of content, and structure (traditional form-that is: rhyme, rhythm, voice, stanza pattern, and other elements which comprise poetry).
- The poem must be postmarked, dropped off at one of the designated locations, or e-mailed by JANUARY 29, 2020.
Each poem must have the following information printed legibly on the BACK of each page:
- Student's Name, Contact Phone Number, & E-mail Address
- School or Homeschool
- School Grade Level & Contest Level
Please mail submissions to:
Lone Star Cowboy Poetry Gathering
P. O. Box 1076
Alpine, TX 79831
Or email to submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions can also be dropped off at the Jeff Davis County Library, Alpine Public Library, or Marfa Public Library.
Questions? Please contact Elizabeth Baize at the email address above.